Make sugar cookie dough. Knead with love. Shape, cut and bake. Add chocolate. Insert sweet treats *here*. Decorate. Remember. Give. Enjoy. xx
HOW TO MAKE A LOVE COOKIE SANDWICH
1. Make a sugar cookie dough, here's the recipe I use:
3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (225 grams) butter, room temperature
1 cup (200 grams) white sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
In a separate bowl mix together the flour, salt, and baking soda. In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat until combined. Add the flour mixture and beat until you have a smooth dough. Divide the dough in half and wrap each half in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for about one hour or until firm enough to roll.
2. Roll out dough and using 3 DIFFERENT SIZED heart shaped cookie cutters, cut out the following:
- 16 large hearts
- 8 medium hearts, with a smaller heart cut out of the centre (as shown)
3. Place onto two oven trays lined with non-stick baking paper, and bake for 6-8 minutes at 170 degrees celcius, or until just browned around the edges.
4. While you are waiting for them to cool, melt a handful of white chocolate melts - this is your glue, and works better than frosting.
5. Apply melted chocolate to the underside of the medium hearts and 'glue' each to the top of a large heart. It doesn't matter if you can see the chocolate, or if your cookies look a bit rugged like mine did!
6. Once the chocolate glue has dried (will take just a few minutes) fill the heart shaped cavity with sweets (or a little note!)
7. Carefully apply chocolate 'glue' to the top of the medium heart, taking care not to let chocolate drip into the centre. It is better to apply the 'glue' more to the outside edge, as it doesn't matter if it drips down the outside (it will be covered up!). Then put a large heart on top to make your 'sandwich'.
8. Decorate the tops of your cookies (I used Royal Icing, see recipe below), and using a piping back with a star nozzle, pipe buttercream in between the two cookie layers, concealing the inner cavity.
9. Present! Your recipient will have no idea of the delight hiding inside this cookie sandwich. What a lovely surprise, and a beautiful way of saying 'always in my heart'.
PS - Royal Icing recipe - 1 egg white, juice of 1 lemon, 1 1/2 cups icing sugar. Beat egg white and lemon until smooth, add icing sugar and beat until smooth and of 'flooding' consistency. Add water or more icing sugar where necessary to achieve this. Pipe the edge of the heart, and 'flood' the heart with icing using a spoon. This will take overnight, or at least 8 hours to harden, so that you can pipe the design over the top. For the coloured designs add another half or so cups of icing sugar until it is 'piping' consistency. Add colour of your choice, and pipe using a fine nozzle.